Boundless Horizons

Boundless Horizons

Sunday 24 July 2011

The 12 Highest Peaks in the Lake District - a bit of boring info before hand for the dedicated fell walker


I am all packed for my big challenge and will set off tomorrow (Monday 25th). I will be doing a 4/5 day walk where I will be going up the 12 highest peaks in the Lake District. I was originally going to do the 10 highest but considering Raise and Esk Pike are on the way to others I thought I might as well do them too. There is a bit of uncertainty as to what the 12 highest are. Ill Crag and Broad Crag of the Scafell range and Lower Man of Helvellyn are to some considered the 4th, 5th and 7th highest mountains in the country and the lakes but to a lot (including Alfred Wainwright) they aren't.
This is because they don't have a high enough prominence to be considered an extra peak. I can't make my mind up about this one. Quite frankly this whole prominence thing confuses me to much to make an opinion on the subject myself, all I can say is when going up to Scafell Pike; Ill Crag and Broad Crag are well worth a visit. As for Lower Man I have never been on that. I will be doing these 3 peaks as well just to avoid having to explain to anyone why I didn't go up them (when I wouldn't really know why myself). This way no-one will be able to argue that I haven't gone up at least the 12 highest mountains in the Lake District if not the 15 highest. My only concern is Ill Crag and Broad Crag go off the path a bit so I am hoping I won't have too much trouble finding them if they're in fog.
Check back next weekend to find out how I got on.

I have listed the mountains that I will be doing in height order:

Scafell Pike (wainwright)
Scafell (wainwright)
Helvellyn (wainwright)
Ill Crag
Broad Crag
Skiddaw (wainwright)
Lower Man
Great End (wainwright)
Bowfell (wainwright)
Great Gable (wainwright)
Pillar (wainwright)
Nethermost Pike (wainwright)
Catstye Cam (wainwright)
Esk Pike (wainwright)
Raise (wainwright)

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Good luck! Hope you have fun x