Boundless Horizons

Boundless Horizons

Saturday 6 August 2011

High Cup Nick to Teasdale


This is just a quick one. As I'm heading off to Spain tomorrow.

I had the following new equipment to test out for the Picos de Europa.


  • Pair of Craghoppers Trekking Poles
  • Lowe Alpine Snow Storm 27litre Rucksack
  • Craghoppers Bear Grylls Basecamp Fleece
  • Platypus 2litre hydration system


I felt the best place to go was High Cup Nick. Steep enough to try out the trekking poles and close enough to cycle to as I couldn't get a lift with Mum and Dad being busy packing. I set off from home to Murton a 12 mile bike ride. I called in at Calum's House on the way. I was going to ask Calum (Fergus' big brother) if he wanted to come but he was working Fergus is in Greece with his Mum at the moment. Calum has recently spent 4 months going around New Zealand and Australia and I've yet to see his photos. We're all gonna plan a big walk sometime hopefully. After another 4 miles I arrived in Murton and after cycling through the farm I found a suitable place to lock my bike up before heading off up Middle Tounge. I had a bit of trouble lengthening the trekking poles. They came apart a few times and I was wondering if they were faulty. It turned out it was just my 'bull in a china shop' approach to getting something to work properly. As I got to the end of High Cup Nick I was starting to really appreciate its beauty. I've been there about 4 times and have always had it down as one of the most beautiful places in the country. Quite possibly the most beautiful place in the country outside of the Lake District. I headed on for a further 12 km toward Teasdale. I had never been this far but had heard from lots of people who had. It is quite astounding how all it takes is a stroll over some  hills and your in totally different country. After Cow Green Resevoir is Cow Green Spout. This unfolds into a river which if you follow it joins you up with the river Teas. Unfortunately I don't have a map of this area so stopped when I got to Windy bank farm. Heading back was a bit boring as it was the same way I came. My Platypus had kept me hydrated to this point but I had put it in the rucksack the wrong way round so as it got to the bottom I couldn't get water out until I realised what I'd done. When I got back to High Cup Nick I rang home. Mum and Dad had been beginning to worry as I'd been out of signal all day and couldn't get in touch.
I walked back on the other side of High Cup Nick getting to use my Trekking Poles quite Nicely on a bit of descent over scree. The poles were cheap from Debenhams who have a Craghoppers section. They have a sale at the moment so that's where I got my BG Fleece as well which I didn't get much use out of on such a hot day. Dad bought the poles for Mum to use in Spain and said I could use them to see if I liked them. My knees are having a few problems at the moment and a light weight pair of poles, to carry on the outside of my backpack, are a good bit of reassurance on long expeditions like the one last week. Arriving at the bike I cycled back into Appleby where I cycled around a bit before meeting Mum and Dad. We put my Bike in the back of the car and took a take away home with us.

To Conclude the Platypus was Fantastic! Kit of the day!
The Fleece was very warm when I did wear it, so took it off.
The Rucksack was very good and has a lot of quality features on it for such a small rucksack.
The Trekking Poles were good and I will get some Light Weight 'Leki' ones as I'll find them very useful however the Craghoppers were good for the money and day walkers going for small strolls in my opinion won't need anything more.

I'm really looking forward to the holiday. We will spend the first week with friends in Santander where we will visit some show caves and I'm sure I'll find various other things to do that are worth writing about. The 2nd week we will head up to the Picos de Europa, where some mountain adventures will begin. We're staying in a cottage just outside the national park not far from Potes. I don't know how easy it will be to get online but I'll try to find an internet Cafe at some point in the week. So keep checking back if your interested.

As always feel free to leave comments,

Ethan

No comments: