Boundless Horizons

Boundless Horizons

Saturday 24 September 2011

Murton Pike and High Cup Nick

Today I got up at 08:30 and got a lift with Dad to Murton where Fergus was due to meet me. Fergus was waiting in the bus shelter when I arrived. We set off up towards Murton Pike walking behind Murton Crag. The cloud was very low and from here on navigation was difficult, seeing as we were off the path. Using a compass bearing I found our way to the summit. We then headed down towards the start of High Cup Nick. The plan was for Fergus to walk around High Cup Nick with me as well before finding his own way back to Murton, and then I would head on up to Cross fell and Greg's hut. Seeing as the cloud was low and Fergus didn't have a map or know how to use a compass we decided it was best if he went back now while the way was still clear. I worked my way around High Cup Nick, the fog was thick and the rain was persistent. I didn't meet one person. Every so often one of the jagged, pointy rocks would stick out through the fog to confirm I was near the edge. I was deciding that it perhaps wasn't worth heading on to Cross Fell today and I should meet Dad in Dufton. After a few kilometres down the field I came to the bottom of Dufton Pike. At only 300 metres visibility was still poor and the majority of Dufton Pike was hidden. It is in this weather that I start to appreciate the company of others a lot more. I was going to check out Greg's Hut but realised that although I could probably make it quite easily, I didn't see what enjoyment I would get out of spending a long, lonely night in a mountain bothy at 700 metres with nothing to do other than cook some pasta and dry out my clothes, just to head back down in the morning. After ringing Dad I decided that it was best to meet him in Dufton.
             It is hard for me to cope with the fact that I didn't go on to the hut today, but I know that sometimes my determination can push me through those hard times and thats what achieves great things on the mountains, but it can also push me through tough times and in the end bring me nothing to look back on with a smile on my face. If I was aiming to get somewhere for the next night or had a particular route in mind I wouldn't have returned until I had completed what I had set out to do, but considering this was an adventure with no objective and at the end of the day had little enjoyment or achievement in completing it, I decided it was one to do another day with enjoyable weather and good company.

Thanks for reading,
Comments valued as always.

No comments: