Boundless Horizons

Boundless Horizons

Friday 23 September 2011

Regular Update

Tomorrow I'll be going on a walk with Fergus for the day up Murton Pike and around High Cup Nick.
These are both walks I've done a lot. It's possibly my 5th time up Murton Pike and maybe my 5th visit to High Cup Nick. One of them a memorable experience with my Dad, when it didn't really cross my mind mind that walking along a 70 foot drop could be a bit scary to someone (like Dad) who suffers from vertigo. After that Fergus will make his own way back while I head off up to Cross Fell (which I've never been on) and then stay the night at 'Greg's Hut' (which is also a new experience). Cross Fell is the 9th highest fell in the country and the highest fell in the country, outside of the Lake District. 'Greg's hut' is also the highest mountain bothy in the country. I am quite pleased with how I've packed. I've managed to fit everything in my 'Lowe Alpine 45 litre Air Zone', and I'm leaving my Theramarest style Vaude Air mattress at home and I'm taking the light weight and cheaper option (a standard foam mattress).

What I've been up to
I haven't been up to a lot recently. I have a minor cold which usually would mean nothing, but it is effecting my stamina quite a bit, so I have had to abandon my increasingly regular long distance run for this week. I have managed to fit a 6km and a 4km in but I can't say I'm proud of the distance or my performance in it.
           I went to my first session of the indoor climbing course at Kendal Wall. It was extremely well taught. I have done bits of climbing in the past, at a Kids club when I was 10 in Penrith leisure centre and also with school and a summer camp once or twice, but I learnt an awful lot just in this one session. We only used the Bouldering wall this week, but I learnt to climb a lot more efficiently. Next week we will be doing top rope climbing and weeks 3 and 4 we will be doing Lead Climbing (something which I have never done).
           I have been having trouble getting hold of size 14 B2 winter boots. Which is strange because I can find Plenty of size 14 walking boots. Manufacturers are a bit silly really. They have concluded that men with size 14 feet don't have the desire to do anything more than summer walking! It's as if they expect a man with big feet to say "Oh no, gravel is challenging enough for me! I'll wait until next summer, and for now I'll leave those much more adventurous small-footed people to explore the snow." However 'La Sportiva' do 2 B3 rated models in my size so I am not totally lost.

That's all for now. Check back on Sunday or Monday night and I might have a post up about tomorrow's adventure.

Feel free to post comments and few more followers would be nice (but I won't hold my breath).

Ethan

No comments: